Autumn is an important time to detox. Cleansing helps your body adjust to the changes in temperature, dryer air, less sunlight, etc.
Your body's systems are challenged as they go through this shift ~ your hormonal, immune, circulatory and digestive systems are all working overtime.
Just as tuning up your auto gives it more pep and helps it run better, a detox cleans out your filters (liver, kidneys, lungs, colon, lymph system) and gives you more vitality and clarity. A cleanse helps to relieve indigestion, bloating, joint pain, headaches and many other symptoms of congestion.
Since the body is calibrated with Mother Earth's rythyms (whether we acknowledge it or not), the vegetables that are in season help us to align with the climate.
Root vegetables, squashes and cruciferous vegetables are in abundance now. All are nutritious and have cleansing properties. Cruciferous vegetables contain the mineral sulphur, a powerful detoxifier. These veggies are especially effective for clearing heavy metals from your body. There is a list of these cleansing cruciferous crusaders below.
See the next column for a great weekend cleanse that you can do at home, which includes cruciferous veggies.
Easy Two Day At-Home Cleanse
1. Schedule a couple of days that you can completely rest, no work of any kind.
3. Make a pot of millet or amaranth in case you need more to eat than soup.
4. Clear all sugar, red meat, wheat, dairy out of your kitchen for this weekend.
5. Drink 2 quarts of lemon water each day. Eat as much soup as you need. Have two servings of millet or amaranth if you wish. Relax, breathe and eat mindfully.
6. Have inspiring reading or DVD’s on hand. Avoid material that is negative or violent.
7. Walk for at least 20 minutes each day.
8. Rest as much as you want. Our body detoxifies most when we rest.
Sulphur & Cruciferous Vegetables
Cruciferous vegetables are rich in the mineral sulphur. Sulphur binds with heavy metals that we are exposed to from the environment (through the air, water, soil, etc.) like lead, arsenic, mercury, cadmium, etc.
Here is a list of the most common crucifers, packed with nutrients and the detoxifying power of sulphur:
Bok choy Broccoli Brussels sprouts Cabbage Cauliflower Diakon Kale Radish Rutabaga